Tuesday, October 1, 2013

No Shop September

I didn't shop during the month of September.

*GASP*

That's right, aside from two Phillip Lim for Target bags that I planned ahead for, I didn't buy any clothes, shoes, jewelry, or bags. Why did I do it?

     1) I shopped a lot in the month of August
     2) I don't "need" anything new, especially since the weather hasn't cooled off yet
     3) I don't want to be a shopaholic anymore.

There, I said it. I don't want to be a shopaholic anymore. I no longer want to associate myself with that word. I mean, I even use that word to describe myself in my Instagram bio, so how can I keep up the facade that I don't have a problem?

So let's get a little bit personal. This has always been my logic: I don't have debt, so I'm not a shopaholic. Or, my shopping isn't out of control because I don't have debt. What kind of logic is that? Thanks to Mint.com, I am able to see what percentage of my paycheck is being spent on clothes. Scary! I tried to push away those little nagging thoughts and twinges of guilt for buying just one more pair of black boots, or that ever so unique top (the one that looks so similar to three I already have in my closet). But those thoughts popping up.

Then the real guilt set in.

So picture this, I'm lying in bed one night, feeling physically nervous that I won't be able to get my hands on those Phillip Lim bags I'd been craving, and I thought of the lilies of the field, and how they don't care what they wear.


That was the point when I realized, something is really wrong here. What I wear should not bring me anxiety! I already have enough things to worry about.


I'm starting to get a bit literal here, but stick with me. The moment we allow something as unimportant as what we wear control us, to cause us anxiety, or drain our bank accounts, there is something wrong. God does not want us to worry about anything, so in that moment of "Limsanity," I decided I needed to do something about it.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with getting joy out of fashion. For me, it is a hobby, an interest, a passion. It allows me to express my artistic side. It is a successful money-making industry which employs millions of people worldwide. It is an industry which values art, creativity, and beauty. And these are things God also loves.


And is the earth not so beautiful? It doesn't take more than a quick glance around you to know that God created something amazing and awe inspiring for us. In Genesis 1:31, God looked around, and knew that His work was good.


God admires our beauty as well.


So what I am saying, is that as a Christian young woman, I want to be smarter about how I shop, what I buy, and how much I spend. I don't want to stress over it, eat ramen because of it, or have to rearrange my budget for it. I don't want it to be an addiction anymore, but rather, a creative outlet which I can use to express the talents and passions God has given me.

I know (at least I hope), there are more of you ladies out there feeling the same way I am, and that's why I have decided to document my journey as a "recovering shopaholic" as I continue my shopping ban into the month of October. Every Tuesday in October, I will bring you a new post packed with information about how to shop your closet, how to find the best bargain, how to decide what you really need, and how to blog on a budget. I want to share my tips and tricks with you, so we can still be fashionista's without breaking the bank or feeling guilty.

12 comments:

  1. Katie, this is wonderful! I admire how you are able to share this with your readers. I want to be trendy but I don't want to break the bank. I am certainly excited for your weekly tips and guarantee you will see me back here! Good luck with your continued shopping ban. You have my support :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post, and how you put a positive spin on it. When I get stressed and overly thoughtful about shopping, I conclude that retail stores are just valleys of temptation, put out there by the devil himself so that we can fall and fail. Greed and envy are two of the seven deadly sins, and I'll be darned if shopping and the blogosphere doesn't make it easy to feel those things. I'm with you, and excited for your Tuesday posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Katie. Congrats!!!! We are much too much a consumerism society!!!!! I know i'm guilty of it. Looking forward to reading your posts. Good for you Katie. We should shop our closets more and be thankful for what we already have, instead of always wanting more. Hope you will be joining me in my 7x7 fall link up tomorrrow. Great way to get the most out of your closet and see all the fabulous outfits you can make with just 7 items.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Charlene! I'm so glad to have your support and I hope that these posts are helpful for you :) Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kate! I totally agree about the temptation aspect and it certainly doesn't make it any easier when trying to maintain a style blog. But I'm determined to find a better way and hope my posts provide some good tips and inspiration for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Agi! Glad to know there are others out there who share my perspective. I unfortunately don't have a 7x7 post prepared, though I LOVE those posts and will be stopping by to check out your link up for some inspiration to shop my closet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much sharing...such an inspiration :) I'm excited to see these posts...I could use a little perspective :)

    Veloria in Velvet
    www.veloriainvelvet.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, myself, am definitely a shopaholic - I dont know that I could go a month without shopping (at least at thrift shops). I agree about clothing not causing anxiety - for me, it definitely does, sometimes we put more pressure on ourselves than anyone when it comes to things like what we wear.

    http://www.buttonsandbirdcages.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely agree about putting pressure on ourselves about what we wear. My goal is to get to a point where I'm happy with what I have, but can still put together outfits I like with no fuss. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed it, Madeline! I hope you find my Tuesday posts helpful this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this post! I am a shopaholic. I need to look at my closet more often!
    xo,
    Jacqueline


    stylininstlouis.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you liked it, Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments!