Thursday, December 19, 2013

Holiday Lookbook: Family Gathering

Shirt- JCPenney, Vest- Sears, Skirt- J.Crew Factory, Tights- Merona, Boots- Chinese Laundry
  
On Christmas day, my family gets together after lunch to open presents and eat lunch together. I like to wear something comfortable but still festive and cute. A plaid button up seemed to be the obvious choice to start my outfit. I paired it with a wool skirt and the most comfortable tights I own (seriously, no muffin top here- the waistband on these things is incredible!). I needed something to top off the look, so my faux fur vest went on top. I don't get to wear this thing enough!

White bib necklace- Mindy Mae's Market, Rhinestone necklace- Shop Lately (sign up with Facebook to get $10 off your first order!)

I wanted to add some sparkle at my collar so I layered two necklaces together. This has been my favorite trick lately to make my statement necklaces even more of a statement! These two are some of my more recent purchases and I love them both! They were affordable but still great quality. Follow Mindy Mae's Market on Instagram as they sometimes post flash sales- that's how I picked up this pretty! And if you are not already shopping for jewelry on Shop Lately, you really need to be! Think eBay for all the Etsy and other small online jewelry sellers out there. You can find tons of J.Crew and Baublebar dupes at great prices.


For a day of catching up with family, straight hair is the way to go. No need to do anything fancy. This is how I wear my hair most days, but I spent a little extra time blow drying it with a round brush to make sure it was smooth and shiny.

As far as makeup is concerned, I can't think of anything more Christmassy than a red lip. Of course with a lipstick this pigmented, you'll want to start with lipliner. Line and fill in your lips completely. Apply your lipstick on top, then blot with a Kleenex. Another layer of lipstick over that will guarantee that the color will last longer, though I can't promise it'll last through your third trip to the dessert table! Since my lips were so bright, I used a shimmery champagne eyeshadow all over my lids, and a matte brown shade in my crease. A thin line of eyeliner on top and a coat of mascara was all I needed to complete my eye look. I used a rosy pink blush to bring a little color to my cheeks and I was done.

OPI Pirouette My Whistle (silver glitter), Sephora by OPI Indi-go With the Flow (blue glitter), Zoya (snowflakes)

The inspiration for my nails was a white Christmas, which I will most likely not get in Texas! Sparkly nails will have to do. I applied a pearly white polish first, and then started layering silver glitter polish on top. I used the blue glitter polish to create a gradient affect towards to tips of my nails. A few nails got a blue snowflake accent that I created with my Konad stamper and plate m59.

Shop the Look:


Check out my other Holiday Lookbook posts for more outfit inspiration!


Linking up with Three-for Thurdsay: BethanyMeghan | Spotlight of the Week: Jacqueline & Elle | Tres Chic Thursday |  Mix and Match Fashion | Working Girl With Style

12 comments:

  1. I have an obsession with cute womens clothes and nail polish. Especially nail polish!! I love your nails, I always do my nails with the holidays also. Right now I have red, green and silver nails and my toes are light blue and silver with snowflakes. I wish I had the snowflakes that you have thought. Thanks for sharing Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty holiday outfit! I love those layered necklaces and your fur vest. =)


    http://www.avecamber.blogspot.com
    http://www.bloglovin.com/avecamber

    I hope you are having a wonderful week!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good fur vest, as you know. I'm obsessed with mine! Love it with plaid; awesome outfit!

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this holiday look and may have to steal it
    Those nails are pretty awesome too
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you paired the plaid and fur! You have inspired me to try it.
    xo Kate
    http://www.stilettoedtosteeltoed.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I love that color red on you! How do you like NYX lipstick and blush? I just received their eyeshadow to review and I'm so excited! Sigh...I guess I'm the only not on the plaid party...everyone is doing it and looks so cute...I need to get with it!

    Merrie @ www.PetiteCareerGirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the detail shots, and the necklace!

    xoxo, KP

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this festive ensemble. The fur vest paired with the plaid looks amazing!

    http://www.fashboulevard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a fun holiday tradition - and I just love this look! the plaid and fur are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable outfit! Very casual, yet still has that festive sparkle about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Merrie! I'm a little late on my comment replies, but I wanted to let you know my thoughts on the NYX products! I really love their blushes- they have a great color range and last all day on me. I do like their lipsticks, but I prefer Revlon more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments!